Wednesday, December 3, 2014

What is your Vision for America?

This is the weighty question I posed in my book where I explore how the political map of America - my adopted homeland - differs wildly from that of my native Switzerland. I am passionate about American life and culture, and my new book examines the differences in health care, retirement plans, tax systems and international affairs between the two nations, in an effort to find common ground and sources of inspiration and improvement.

My findings reflect intense differences in values, commitments and priorities between the US and Switzerland, which impacts the people, their economies, politics and international relations profoundly. While the American people seems driven by wealth, fame and short-term success, the Swiss focus on quality, precision, independence, integrity, financial stability and the physical well-being of its countrymen. The Swiss take pride in taking care of their citizens throughout their lives by having well-oiled social systems in place. While healthcare is considered a service in Switzerland, in the United States, I believe it to be a very profitable business. I question if this is a lack of solidarity and if America is, in fact, a plutocracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment